Thursday 11 January 2018

Kathy's potato pastry meat pie

War Time Inspired Pie


With our post Christmas 'big shop' due this week. I was mindful of the amount of food we consumed over the festive season. All the 'bad' food we put in to our bodies... im not complaining..I enjoyed every single cheese board and iced gingerbread !

I wanted to try and feed my family some proper back to basic wholesome food. What better cooking style to follow than the basics of war time food.

I stumbled across a Potato Pastry recipe. My family love a gravy based dinner. Pie it is! Working in the food industry on and off for a number of years, I can appreciate the true value of a good pie! But potato based pastry? It caught me.



With our societies strange opinion that 'perfect looking veg is best', I went against the grain and bought all of my ingredients in Morrisons in their 'Wonky' and 'savers' range. 40% of a crop of vegetables can be disregarded because it does not meet the aesthetic requirements of supermarkets. Having a perfectly shaped potato is not of importance to me 

The meat for the pie was purchased on the deli. Chopped cooked meat mixture just 70p for 100g. Chopped ham, turkey ,pork/pork luncheon and beef. Perfect pie filling.

This pie was made on a real budget. It fed all five of us in my household. One man sized portion, my portion, 2 good sized kids portion and a babys portion . One of my daughters also had seconds ,as did the man sized person at my table!

The cost?

£3.70 ....for all of us... thats just 74p each for a hearty meal.






XxP&TxX

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! And I'm a fan of wonky shaped veg too ... nothing like a giggle when you're making dinner. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to dish this up very soon! Fab to see recipes on blogs which I love :0)

    ReplyDelete