Wednesday 2 January 2019

Pheasant Frugal Baking

Cooking has always been an important part of my life. I am by no stretch of the imagination a master chef. Quite the opposite! But I enjoy it.

I make what I think of as 'Proper Food'. Hearty meals, healthy sized portions and making good use of traditional methods.

I particularly love War time recipes. The idea of being frugal and bulking meals out to prolong the use of the chosen meat. This keeps food bills down as well, so important for a big family.

Today, I had a locally sourced Pheasant (courtesy of Webbs Butchers in West Moors Dorset) defrosted that needed to be used. If you have cooked Pheasant before, you will know there is not an awful lot of meat on the bird but a lot of taste. It lends it self to pies and game pates.

To feed my family of five, I made small pastry cases and filled with slow roasted pheasant, mushrooms, carrots and a bit of gravy. This was served with roast potatoes and mixed vegetables.

There was enough meat left over to recreate the meal another day or a larger version.

It may not be the most mind blowing creation ever, but it went down well with all the children and my husband. A pheasant that cost just over £3.50 can stretch to two meals with ease.

XxP&TxX

No comments:

Post a Comment