Monday 7 January 2019

~×~Slow Cooker Porridge ~×~

School day mornings are manic to say the least.

Getting the children dressed, fed and ready for school can be quite a challenge. Breakfast is one of those things that can either add to the chaos or provide a moment of calm amongst quiet munchings.

An easy peasy breakfast for a chilly early morning is Slow Cooker Porridge.

A good friend introduced this to me a while a go and its utter genius!! No need to stand at the hob thinking about a million other things that need to be done next. It's ready to go as soon as you are awake.

Ingredients:
Porridge oats
Milk (almond or soy also works if dairy free)
Sugar, salt (whatever your taste is)
Dried fruit or chopped apple
Spices to taste (apple and cinnamon, sultana and cinnamon is good too)

Method :

The best ratio I have found is one cup of porridge oats to three cups of milk.

For my three children and I, I put in two cups of oats and six cups of milk (you can replace two cups with water if you are low on milk or prefer a less creamy porridge)

I stirred in some cinnamon sugar and chopped apple.

This is simply put into the slow cooker and flicked on to the lowest setting over night (8hrs)

When you wake up there is not only a hearty healthy breakfast ready, but the amazing smell of warm porridge. Heavenly!

If your are working to a budget, I have roughly worked this out at £0.56p for all 3 of us ( 2 cups oats, 2 cups of milk, the apples were from my tree frozen in the freezer so free, and I already had the cinnamon sugar in my baking cupboard) this would obviously be lower if you substitute the milk for water. I don't know the price for almond or soya milk I'm afraid!

Let me know if you give it a try! The empty bowls here speak for them selves!

XxP&TxX

No comments:

Post a Comment